Sunday, October 30, 2011

I'm a pretty crafty person.

Actually I'm not. See, I'm not creative or artistic whatsoever. You could probably pick any 5 year old off the street and they could draw a dog better than I could. But!!! All day Saturday we did crafts in our dorm. It was me, Briana, and my friend Megan. We got all of our ideas off of pinterest.com(best site ever) and crafted from about 6-1 in the morning. It was amazing. And I learned that I'm really not as bad as I thought I was. So I'm gonna show you what we made.

 Briana made this one. It's just a medium size canvas painted pink. Then, she wrote out a "B" by dipping the eraser of a pencil in yellow paint. Super cute!!

 Briana made this one too. She taped off the edges of 2 small canvases and painted them yellow so when the tape dried, she peeled it off and there was a border. Then in puffy paint she wrote "sic em". They are held together by ribbon and a button on each end. 
 I made this one! Its a canvas painted blue and then has the verse in white puffy paint. I love this one because 1. it's my favorite verse and 2. it's very simply but very cute. 
 This one is one of my favorite! I made this one and the rest of them on here. This is a canvas painted pink then I used different color/size buttons to create an E. I just hot glued the buttons on there and there ya go!
 This one was the first one I made. I didn't mean for it to be a star, but I can't really do anything random so it looks like a star. I just taped parts of the canvas and painted over it. Then once it was dry, I peeled off the paint and it made a star!
This one is interesting so I'll have to explain exactly what I did. This was actually our second try. The first one turned out horribly. Okay first we taped crayons to the top of a canvas. Then, you just melt them with a blow dryer. Sounds easy right? IT'S NOT!!  The first one looked like this:
pretty awful right?
Well we learned that you cannot buy the cheap off brand crayons like us poor college kids did. You have to buy the legit Crayola crayons because the off brand is just too oily. It's also a lot easier to use a smaller surface. Then, you have to tape the crayons down a lot. We had a strip of masking tape across all of them, duct tape on top of that, then we had to close pin them to the board. If you don't secure them very well, then as they melt, they fall off. I'm gonna show you the other picture again so you don't have to look at that awful thing. 
Much better.
After the melted crayons dry, you have to untape the crayons and it leaves an awkward space at the top where they were. So as you can see, we painted it. We went and bought the chalkboard paint so now we have an awesome looking chalkboard! By the way, I suggest doing this outside because as it's melting, the crayon goes everywhere. It's also a good lesson in patience if you're doing this with little ones because it does take a few minutes for the crayons to start melting. 

My friend Megan also made a painting that has "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He loves me" with a picture of a little bird. It was so cute!! So we made all these into decorations for our dorm room! 

Yall have a good week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment