Friday, October 12, 2012

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

God's grace never ceases to amaze me. After I stopped doing the internship, I was doubting whether or not I was actually called to family ministries. I thought that what I had in my head wasn't really family ministries and what I wanted to do in the church wasn't really an actual job. I feel like I'm called to work with the family unit, but especially with parents. So on Thursday, I met with a minister out at First Baptist Woodway (the church I've been going to in the Wack) for a paper I had to write for a class. After talking with the guy for about 30 seconds, I knew that I wanted his job. I guess not his job but I absolutely loved what he did and I didn't even know it was an actual position! His official title is Minister of Discipleship and Young Married Couples. He works with nearlyweds up to about 45 year olds. He arranges parenting classes, family retreats, financial management classes, etc. It's pretty much family ministries but working a lot with the parents, which is exactly what I wanna do!! It was just really encouraging to know that what I want to do is an actual job because I was starting to think it wasn't.

Complete change of subject. Before you start reading, there is a disclaimer. I don't talk about politics. I avoid the subject as much as possible. The following paragraph is neutral as to who I want to be the next president. That's not the issue on my heart lately.

Honestly, I'm tired of seeing political garbage on Facebook. But here's the thing, it's not the politics that I'm tired of seeing. It's the hateful, rude, and nasty conversations that I see between people on Facebook that really get to me. Think about it, do we really think that telling someone that their opinion is wrong and that they're an idiot is going to change their political views? Of course not. As Christians, we are called to a higher standard. We are supposed to represent the image of Christ in everything that we do. Our love is supposed to show Christ's love. Also, our identity should be in Christ; not for who we want to be our next president. Our hope should be in Jesus regardless of who our political leaders are. Yes, I understand standing up for what you believe in, but there's a line that we shouldn't cross. A line that nobody should cross  regardless of what their religious beliefs are. It all just comes down to having respect for the person you're talking to. There's absolutely no need to personally attack a person in a public place because of what they believe. That being said, if I offended you with this, please please please don't comment on my Facebook about it and make it a public ordeal. Message me, that's totally fine; I even encourage you too.
I also encourage you to read THIS article, I think it has some really good things to say.

Enough serious business.

I'LL BE HOME IN LESS THAN A WEEK!! I'm definitely ready for some time off of school. It's pretty nice to have a fall break, I'm not gonna lie. I'm not exactly sure what day I'll be home, but I'll at least have 3 days in Rockport which will be sooooo nice!

Lovin this song right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment