Friday, January 6, 2012

Pleasing

I feel like it's been forever since I've posted anything on here, but sometimes, my life just isn't all that interesting. I'm not quite sure where this post is going so hang in there with me. The one thing I do know is that leaving to go back to Waco on Sunday is not going to be an easy task. I love being home. I love seeing everybody. This is where I'm comfortable. I love Baylor, don't get me wrong and I know that's where I'm supposed to be for college. I guess the right things in life aren't always the easiest.

In the past few weeks, something has been brought to my attention that I've always known and has always been very apparent in my life. Maybe because I'm having to make a lot of decisions lately that it's been pushed to the forefront. I'm a people pleaser. Which, to an extent isn't a bad thing. Now, I have to be more specific with this. I'm a people that I care about pleaser. I don't really care about pleasing people that I don't know. But I do want to please those that love me. That's not a bad thing right? Up until recently, I figured this was a good thing. Those people keep me accountable for living a Christ like life. What I've recently realized is that we shouldn't be living our life for anyone but Christ. I shouldn't live my life to please people. Yesterday, I was asked a very thought provoking question. "If God was calling you to do something that absolutely no one approved of, would you do it?" This was a really hard thing for me to answer. Everyone wants to say. "yea, if God called me to do it, then of course I will." But if the opportunity actually arose, would you? And I'm speaking mainly to myself, but it would be really hard for me obey Him if it would upset my family and friends. Also, people will let me down. It's inevitable. No one is perfect and people I love will let me down from time to time so why live to please people? Christ will never let me down. I'd much rather live for Him then people. Now, I don't want this to come out sounding bitter, because I'm definitely not. I also don't want yall to read this and then think that I'm gonna go out and do whatever I want because I'm not trying to please yall anymore. I think by living to please Christ, I will please the people that love me along the way.

Going along with this, my goal for this semester is to live my life to please Christ and no one else. When deciding what to do with my life, my summer, no matter what it is, my first thought should be, "What will please Christ and make his love shine through me" not "What would my friends and family want me to do." This won't be an easy task for me, but I definitely think its attainable.

I hope yall have had an awesome start to the year! How crazy is it that it's 2012? I'm getting old, people!

Oh! I almost forgot, my parents gave my Josh Hamilton's autobiography for me for Christmas. I LOVED this book. Even if you're not a huge baseball fan like I am, you should definitely read it. In case you don't know his story, he grew up in a very loving home and was very well behaved as a teenager. He started playing major league baseball and got messed up in drugs. These drugs starting taking over his life almost to the point of no return. Eventually, he found Christ and that was the only thing that got him past the addiction. He now very openly lives his life for Christ and proclaims it every chance he gets. The book is an easy read and you won't want to put the book down!

No comments:

Post a Comment