Saturday, January 14, 2012

New Semester

I can already tell that this semester is going to be a good one! First off, I'm not taking Statistics, so it's bound to be better then last semester! I'm super excited about the majority of my classes. As of now, I'm graduating a semester early unless I decide to double major in Child and Family Studies and Religion. That being said, I try to pack as much into a semester as I can so this semester I'm taking 17 hours. But it seems like it's going to be a fun 17 hours.

*Remember that rule about not writing your schedule in your blog? Yea, I'm breaking it.*

Mondays
9:05-9:55 Christian Heritage. 
               I think I'm most excited about this class. Honestly, my inner nerd is coming out with this one. I've already read the assigned reading for the next week because I find it so interesting. So far, we've talked about the start and spread of Christianity and also martyrdom. I really look forward to Mondays and Wednesdays because I get to go to this class. It's just so fascinating to learn the history behind the stories I already knew.
10:10-11  Chapel
              All students at Baylor are required to take 2 semesters of chapel and it's zero credit hours. But, I enjoy it. It gives us a nice break from the craziness of life and gives us a chance to just be with God.
4:00-5:15  Tennis
              This tennis class was a last minute thing, but I'm excited about it. I played tennis throughout high school but I ended up quitting because it killed my back. Since I stopped playing in high school, I've missed it so much. It felt great to be out there on the court again actually playing. Of course, my back has been killing me since, but I guess it's something I have to deal with.

Tuesday/Thursday
9:30-10:45  Chemistry in Society
               Pretty much, this is the easier chemistry for people that will never take an upper level science course. It's required for our major so it's a lot more basic. I LOVE this teacher. His name is Dr.Hassel and the first day of class he walks in wearing a shirt that says, "Chemistry is a Hassel." I knew from that  moment that he was gonna be interesting. He then takes about 30 minutes out of the first day of class to tell us how important it is to have a relationship with Jesus Christ. He told that the more and more he learns about science, the more he believes that there has to be a God to make it all fit together. He was also on Oprah because him and his wife write love letters to each other every day. How cute is that?! He is such an interesting man.
11:00-12:15   Apparel in Today's Society
             Bleh. Not looking forward to this course. I'm not interested in the Fashion Industry enough to take a class on it. The professor seems super nice, it's just not my thing. Because my degree is in the Family and Consumer Sciences department, we are required to take a course out of each of the other majors.
2:00-3:15   Child Development
            I love this class so far. It's exactly what the name sounds like; we just learn about the development of children starting at conception and going through the age of 24. This is one of the classes that actually fits with my major so I'm excited!
3:30-4:45   American Constitutional Development
          Bleh.  We learn about government and the constitution, simple as that. This is a very bad class to have at the end of the day when you are already tired. 

Wednesday
Wednesday is the same as Monday except I have my Chemistry Lab from 12:20-2:00. The lab instructor is an interesting International student, so it should be an entertaining class. 

Friday
I just have my Christian Heritage class on Fridays. But starting the first week of February for 6 weeks in a row, I have a lab for my Child Development class from 10-12. Technically, it's not a lab, but it pretty much is. Baylor has a place called Piper Development Center. It is a center for children from infants up to 5 years old. Total, they have about 30-40 kids there. It is a learning center for the children but they also use it as a learning center for Baylor students. Once  a week, we have to go observe the children. We sit down and play with them, watch how they interact, and just see all the developmental stages they go through. I think it'll be fun. 

That's pretty much how my week is. Since I've been back up here, I realized how much I actually missed it over the break. I like having my routine and actually being busy. I don't think this semester will have tons of work, but it will have a lot of reading. Good thing I like reading! Right now, I'm in Austin for the 3 day weekend hanging out with Courtney. Good ol' sister bonding time! 

Living to please God instead of pleasing people is really working out so far. I've realized that it'll get me a lot further with things in my life. I know it won't be so easy with every decision, but I'm working on it.

I suppose I'll go to sleep now. But before I go, you must look at this picture of this cat I think is possibly the cutest animal ever. I wouldn't mind if someone bought one for me :)


Apparently, some people think they're creepy, but I think they're adorable! They're Munchkin cats and they have a mutant gene that makes them have super short legs. But, they don't have any heath problems as a side effect. They can run, jump, and climb just like any other kitty. So cute!!

1 comment:

  1. Erin, of the research I've done on my family, which is a part of your heritage, there is a lot of Christian heritage history. We have Hugenots, and Brethren types galore in our heritage. I bet you have a lot the same on your grandfather Morgan's side.
    I keep up with the genealogy group of Brethren on Rootsweb just to hear more and more history of it. I suspect JoAnn has all the scoop on Wesley's side. It makes history very interesting when you are a part of it. I hope you enjoy that course, I would love to take it.

    ReplyDelete