Thursday, May 30, 2013

Two Homes?

I've discovered recently that I'm in this awkward stage of life right now. I have Rockport, which will always be my hometown. The one and only house I've ever lived in will always be my home. First Baptist Church will always be my home church. I have my friends that are classified as my friends "back home" But now I have Waco. I have a home there. I have friends there. I have a church there. So now what? What is home? Is Rockport home? Is Waco home? 

I texted a friend the other day and said that I missed Waco and my life there. And then I immediately felt like a jerk. I can't miss Waco. I'm home. I'm surrounded by my family, friends, and the beach; how could I miss Waco? Then today while at the beach, I didn't want to leave. I honestly could have sat in the water all day. I wanted to soak it up as much as I could because I'm leaving Sunday and I'll miss the beach so much. As soon as I got to my car, I texted the same friend from before and told her nevermind; I don't want to go back to Waco, Rockport is home. Especially during the summer. I have no doubt that I'll get back to Waco and miss Rockport. If you know anything about me, you know how much I love Rockport. It was really hard for me to go to college because of my love for Rockport. But now while I'm here, I'm missing Waco? Man, maybe I'm just high maintenance. 

So now what? Is Rockport home? Is Waco home? Can you have two homes? When it all comes down to it,  I should realize how blessed I am to be able to call two different towns "home." But I'm not comfortable about it. I don't like that Rockport isn't my ONLY home anymore. But I love it that I've found a life I love in Waco. I suppose that's part of growing up. 

1 comment:

  1. I think no matter how old I get or how far away I get or how different things become, I'll always consider Augusta my "home" and West Acres Baptist Church my "home" church. It is weird, but it's just the way things are.

    ReplyDelete