Sunday, June 9, 2013

Vacation Bible School

Every summer growing up, I would look forward to Vacation Bible School. Because I was always one of "those kids" at the church, I came early with my family and was usually one of the last ones out the door. Even though I was blessed with a multitudes of things that influenced my Christian walk, I have no doubt that VBS was one of the bigger influences. Once I was old enough to work at VBS, I STILL looked forward to the week. I mean really, what is cooler than seeing 300 kids sing catchy (and slightly lame) songs about Jesus? The kid's smiles are contagious, the songs are catchy and will get stuck in your head, and rooms are decorated, and the seeds planted will last forever. 

All of that being said, the week of VBS this year makes me sad. This is the first time in 20 years that I won't be at First Baptist Church for VBS. Do the math, yall. I'm almost 21. I've been at VBS since I was 9 months old tagging along with my family. VBS is one of the highlights of the summer. And instead of being home showing kids the love of Jesus, I'm in summer school learning Spanish. 

Now, I know this is selfish. I know it's awful that VBS makes me sad this year. But I want to be there. However, I know that VBS will go on without me. And I know that really, me being there makes no difference whatsoever. So even though I'm not there physically, I'm there in prayer. I'm praying that those kids see Jesus through the workers. And I pray that those workers have enough strength(mental, physical, and spiritual) to get through the week. I pray that this week would plant seeds in the kids that will last a lifetime. Lastly, I pray that God allows me to be there next year. If not, I pray that He works on my heart so I realize that He has put me somewhere else for a reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment