Sunday, February 19, 2012

Favorite Childhood Memory

Okay I figured I would answer one question per blog post so it won't get too cluttered. This is a good question, but also a hard one. I can't pick just one memory, so I decided to pick 2 (I hope that's okay with you Ms.Mann!). 

The first memory that came to mind was when it snowed in Rockport in 2004. Christmas is always my favorite time of the year, but the snow just made it magical. I'll never forget walking out of the Christmas Eve service at church and seeing the snow falling. We all didn't really know what to do because we were used to 60 degree weather on Christmas, not snow. We went to my grandparents house afterwards for the usual Christmas Eve festivities thinking that the snow wouldn't really stick and it would be gone in a few hours. I remember walking out of Wawa's house late that night to go home and there was actual snow on the ground! But hadn't seen the best of it yet! I remember my parents waking me up that morning and we were all SO excited. Looking out onto the yard, it was solid white. We didn't have clothes suitable for snow so we had to put socks over our hands to go out and play in it. Our dog Annie had no idea what to think of the snow. It totally confused her. We would make a snowball and throw it to her and when she would try to catch it and it would break, she would just sit there and try to figure it out. I LOVED seeing tropical Rockport covered in snow. It made that Christmas somewhat of a fairy tale for us. Technically, I wasn't a child when this happened, but oh well. It will definitely be a memory that will stick with me forever.

The other memory that will always stick with me is the Fourth of July in Rockport. Growing up, I loved July 4th. The town, of course, was always packed full of people. We would spend the day at my grandparents house with my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins and whoever else happened to show up. It was a day filled with lots and lots of food, sunshine, and lots and lots of laughter. Once it got dark, we would gather up blankets, chairs, drinks, and bug spray and start walking down to the empty lot on the beach road to watch the fireworks. There would be lots of "OOOO's and AHHH's" with every blast of color in the sky. After the firework show, we would play hail (family card game) until late at night. This game could get pretty vicious and pretty loud and somewhere throughout the night, my grandpa would turn his hearing aids down to quiet us down a little bit. That's when we knew we were having a good time though. One year, we played hail for hours then moved into the computer room and played Text Twist until about 2 am. Of course, there would be tears from laughing so hard, there always was when we got together. That was my idea of fun on the 4th of July and we still talk about memories from those nights and start laughing all over again.

Now it's my turn to ask the questions. What was your favorite childhood memory?

1 comment:

  1. That really was a Christmas to remember! Hard to believe it really happened! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete