Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Oy vey

Raise your hand if you've read WAY too many articles on being a single, Christian, young adult lately.

You can't see me, but I'm raising my hand as high as I possibly can.

In my opinion, these articles are SO annoying. So is it hypocritical that I'm posting a blog aka article on this very subject? Maybe. But this is my blog and I do what I want. 

It seems like everytime I get on Facebook or Twitter, someone else has posted an "amazing" article about Christian dating for young adults. Usually, the articles posted are aimed at single young adults that love Jesus. They tell us to have faith that God will bring that special person into our life when we're ready. When we have a solid relationship with Him, then we can have a boyfriend. *sidenote: this thought process always made me mad. I have no doubt that I have a solid relationship with God. That is not dictated by whether or not I currently have a boyfriend.* 

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. Maybe I'm just frustrated at seeing all of these articles. Maybe I'm tired of people telling me that "Oh sweetie! You will meet your husband eventually! Don't you worry!" or asking me "do you want me to set you up with my best friend's sister's cousin? He loves Jesus, yall would be perfect!" or "how have you not been snatched up yet?!" 

My favorite conversation went a little something like this: 
He who shall not be named: So you're planning on doing non-profit work? That won't make any money!!
Me: Nope, it won't! But I've accepted the fact that I'm not gonna be rich so that's okay! I'm not in it for the money anyways. 
He who shall not be named: Well do you have a significant other that's gonna be make all the money?
Me: Nope! Not at the moment!
He who shall not be named: Well you're gonna need to find one of those! 


Well thank you. That was a very encouraging talk I just had with you, kind sir. I'm glad that according to you,  my success is measure in whether or not I have a rich husband. 

Oy Vey. 

 
 People. Stop worrying about my dating life. I'm not worried about it. I'm still in college and I still have 4 years of post-graduate education to complete. Lets all just calm down.  Obviously I want to be married  at some point. I don't know when it will happen, but I do know these things:

1. My relationship with Jesus Chris comes before my relationship with ANY human being. I could be head over heels in love with someone and that relationship would come second to my relationship with Christ. 
2. I have things I want to do in my life. Things that I know I'm called to do with my life. Now, I'm not saying a significant other will be a hindrance. I actually mean the opposite. My future spouse will be my ministry partner. But until, and even after, that person comes along, I'm gonna be doing things for the Kingdom and not just hanging around waiting on my life to start.
3. Just because a boy and girl roughly the same age love Jesus, doesn't mean they're going to fall in love. This is a subtle hint at me begging you to stop setting me up with people. I'm sure the guy you have in mind is a great guy. But just because we are both 21 and love Jesus, that doesn't mean that we will love each other. But thank you for the kind thoughts. 
4. I know exactly what I want in a relationship and I will not settle for anything else. I literally have a written out list of things I'm looking for in a spouse. These aren't things like "must have blue eyes" or "must (not so) secretly love TLC like I do." No, these are things like, "must live out his faith in Jesus Christ every single day." My list is a list of things that I will not budge on in a relationship no matter what. I pray over this list and I pray for the person will one day fulfill everything on my list. I have no doubt that they're out there.
5. Lastly, I know that there is a huge difference between a guy that believes in God and a guy that is a solid man of God. These are two very different types of people and I've seen firsthand how each guy acts.

At times, it's incredibly frustrating to see other people around me that are married or in serious relationships. Especially here in the Bible Belt where "Ring by Spring" is not just a silly saying but a way of life for some people. However, I know that my relationship status sure as heck doesn't define me.

This was all very rambly and all over the place, so as a reward for making it to the end, you get to watch this video! 
 

Cheesy pick up lines are my absolute favorite! I think they're so funny! 

No comments:

Post a Comment