Monday, July 21, 2014

Hold Fire

I had a wonderful weekend spent with two of my friends in Waco. We did lots of "Wacoan" activities including tortilla tossing, eating at Georges, and going to the zoo. While we did have a ridiculous amount of fun, we also had a lot of really good conversation. Don't you just love those friends that you can have a blast with but also have deep conversations about life with? I know I do.

One of the conversations we had was about politics. **Don't stop reading just because I mentioned the word "politics!"** Everyone knows people that are borderline obsessed with the current people sitting in office here in the good ol US of A. You know who I'm talking about. The one's that are constantly posting political ads on Facebook usually slamming whoever is currently in charge of our country.  The one's that no matter what the topic of conversation actually is, they bring it back to how much *insert politician here* sucks. And unfortunately, those are sometimes the ones that say comments such as "lets hope for an assassination" or "they need to burn in hell." If you're saying that about ANYONE, then I don't think you fully understand what Hell actually entails.  This goes for both sides of the spectrum. Someone can be incredibly right-winged or incredibly left-winged and they can both have these extreme emotions. Now, I'm not saying that you can't be passionate about something such as politics. However, I am saying that it's very easy to let that passion and interest morph itself into downright fear.

This might be naive and/or ignorant of me, but I honestly do not care about who is in charge right now. The reason I say this is because no matter who is in office, I DO NOT ANSWER TO THEM. I do not base my actions, beliefs, and lifestyle on politicians. My Christian witness trumps any and all political beliefs. Period.

Apostle Peter in 1st Peter 2:13, 14 and 17 talks about this is detail. “13 Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, 14 or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and praise those who do good…17 Honor everyone. Love the Brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the Emperor.”
This is also talked about in Romans 13 when it says, " Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

We are to treat them with respect. We can still disagree with politicians but that doesn't mean that we start hating them. Disagree with the law, but honor and respect the person sitting in authority. Shouldn't we be praying for these people instead of damning them to hell? When it comes down to it, we don't answer to people in office.  I live my life to answer to Christ and only Christ. I put all of my trust in Him. He is the only one that holds my future and it is a waste of time to even try and put that trust in the hands of any human being.


Disclaimer: You can disagree with me. I'm expecting some people to disagree. However, if you want to share your opinion (which is welcome!), please do so in a respectable manner :)

1 comment:

  1. You know that when it comes to politics I am conservative. But my greatest fear on the political situation is the growing animus against Christians and Jews in the United States and the rest of the world. I don't think the atheists realize what a cold, cold world it would be without Christians. I think it is good you feel the way you do, but I wish I had realized the directions policies in the US were heading before I reached the age of 60. I now feel like I am too old to have to play catchup at 77. But I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete